ThermalDynamics Cutmaster A80 Continuing Probs

Discussion in 'CNC Cutting' started by ACP, Feb 25, 2017.

1. ACP

ACP Member

Greetings, I continue to have frequent problems with this cutter. It stops frequently with LED indicating 85 psi which translates to 'Shorted Torch' error. So..
    Switch off Cutter
    Switch on again
    Acknowledge M101/100 error
    Start and hope it goes.. If not switch cutter again. Usually only requires 1 or 2 switches..
    This torch also eats consumables. I'll try to attach some photos of brand new Start cartridge and Tip damaged after literally 5 starts!!
    There is a shop here that sells and supports Elettro brand plasma cutter. Can anyone please comment on whether the new 'Inverter' type cutters are better or ?? It does appear to have fewer consumable parts..
    Mmm attaching photo method is not obvious.. Please advise and I'll send the pics..

2. ACP

ACP Member

3. Kchoghead

Kchoghead Well-Known Member

this is exactly why I went with hypertherm....Jim Colt at hypertherm can give the best pitch for inverter machines.

4. ACP

ACP Member

Ok thanks for that.. I checked a number of Jim Colts posts. I believe the newer technology of high definition is what will give my a different torch/nozzle set up. And better cut quality and greater reliability!!??.. I don't know if the inverter type power supply is part and parcel to high def.??
    The obvious consumable spark jump damage pictured is still needing an explanation..
    I've written to Elettro and am waiting for their reply. Is anyone at Torchmate familiar with that brand or the adaptation of non Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics cutters to my TM 3 Gantry kit (w/AVHC) system??

5. Dnmeistr-LECS

Dnmeistr-LECS Well-Known Member

Never heard of that brand that you mentioned. The pics you provided looks like you have water in your air lines, check / replace your filter or make sure you have clean dry air by installing one. We can recommend the Flexcut 80 Single/Three Phase or the Flexcut 125 Three Phase only both are Lincoln Electric Plasma cutters.

6. DanGeorgian

DanGeorgian Well-Known Member

do you have an adequate dryer on your compressor? i dont and when it starts shooting water it starts doing that to my tips....

7. plumbrob

plumbrob New Member

You need an air dryer. I have the same machine run it 8hrs straight five days a week. My machine is five years old never have replaced a start cartridge tips an electrode last all week I probably change before I need to.

8. ACP

ACP Member

wow plumbrob, please advise what kind of air drier you have.. I live in a pretty dry place and use a moisture catcher.. I blow it out each time I attach the hose.. Strangely, the small moisture catcher for the Cutmaster is inside the multiscrewed cover and only is inspected rarely..

9. Arkansas Metal Art

Arkansas Metal Art Well-Known Member

As important as the air dryer, is how you run your lines from the compressor to the dryer and then to your plasma. Drain legs and uphill runs will help dramatically. And of course a good dryer and filter. I run a Devilbiss CamAir post compressor and then a motorguard pre-plasma with a coupe drainlegs and uphills before the CamAir. And drain your compressor regularly. I've seen compressors with an unbelievable amount of water in them.

Check out this thread.

http://fabricationforum.com/threads/air-dryers.206/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Torchmate likes this.
  10. ACP

ACP Member

OK,, Well it took a while.. But I now have a home made air drier which I need to try out.. So sure enough brings me back to an older problem exporting dxf from TMateCAD and importing dxf to TM 3 CAM. TM3 then imports file showing the Mcode for start stop as M20 and M21 which I want.. But it always seems to find a line which is in error with the old error message 'the vector to the center defines an invalid arc... dahdahdah.. and basically kills the import..
    So alternatively, I'm using 'machine output' and calculating the G-code which will run but!!!.... the G-code uses M50 and M51!!!
    Seems like this should be relatively easy..

Anyone??
    Thanks

11. LECS-Chad

LECS-Chad Guest

TM3

CONFIGURATION/PROGRAMMING/G-CODE DEFINITIONS

upload_2017-6-21_7-20-23.png

Change 20 and 21 and replace with 50 and 51

Then go to M-CODE Execution

upload_2017-6-21_7-21-14.png

Change 20 and 21 to 50 and 51

press OK

Test

If it works then go to FILE/SAVE SETUP

Then will load every time after.

If you are doing large nested files or complex then I always recommend CAMin out of the TMCAD instead of the DXF import. Less issues.

Attached Files: